If you could see me now, you’d know that I’m staring at my feet as they draw bashful circles in the dust, basking in the flattery that is The Versatile Blogger Award. We were nominated for it yesterday by those maharishis of travel blogging (36 years!), James and Terri Vance of gallivance.net (who have also received the award). Thank you James and Terri!
One of the requirements of the award is to reveal seven unbeknownst things about ourselves. Okay. Here goes:
- Although we’re in our sixties, we met just five years ago, online, via eHarmony. We ate prime rib and drank two bottles of champagne on our first date. Our date was at six. Six hours later the restaurant management, wanting to close at midnight, graciously asked us to leave. We coulda stayed all night.
That first date revealed a common love of champagne. We began a champagne cork collection with corks from those first two bottles. It has grown somewhat since (see photo).
- I proposed on the deck of a cruise ship off the coast of Mexico, in a tuxedo, on my knee. Taken aback, Louise didn’t reply for three days.
- We live (until March 30) in an urban environment and use Kalkhoff electric bicycles as our primary means of transportation. Want to feel the vigor of a twelve-year-old? Ride an electric bike. The wind is always at your back.
We travel too much to have pets, so we compensate with large stuffed animals. I once met Louise at the Portland airport carrying a life-size stuffed sheep (“Sir Wooliam” – all of our stuffed animals are named). While waiting for Louise’s plane to arrive, I visited an airport pub, sat Sir Wooliam on a barstool, ordered a beer, “…and water for the sheep: he’s driving.” I’m not making this up.
- In real life, we publish an online advice column named “Ask Glammy.” Glammy’s first book will be published March 1, 2013.
- We still throw dinner parties. Remember dinner parties?
As noted, we’re quite flattered to be nominated for this award. We’ll do our best to live up to the honor.
Hi Tom and Louise, You’re welcome. Thanks so much for the kind words. And what a fabulous love story. Only met 5 years ago … online … on-the-knee tuxedo proposal – be still my heart! This is the stuff of legends! James and I are so excited for your upcoming journey and know that it will be brilliant. Can’t wait to read all about it. All the best, Terri
Congratulations to my friends! I hope you win! (Sir Wooliam? Oh you know this will come up! ;))
Thanks, Jay. And to anyone who follows submarine literature, be sure to visit Jay’s site (www.submarinehunter.com). Revealed secrets abound!
le cul en rows said:
Holy sheep! Congratulations!
I visited an airport pub, sat Sir Wooliam on a barstool, ordered a beer, “…and water for the sheep: he’s driving.” I’m not making this up.
Anyone that knows Tom knows this story is true. Congratulations Tom and LL. If we had a vote, we’d vote for the Expat Almanac. We are sure gonna miss you guys.
Willie and Sir Wooliam are quite close, having shared a bedroom recently. Next time we head out for happy hour, Wil, we’ll ask Wooliam to come along. Talk about a chick magnet!
Additional Info said:
Good day! I could have sworn I’ve been to this blog before but after browsing through some of the articles I realized it’s new to me.
Regardless, I’m certainly happy I discovered it and I’ll be book-marking it and checking back often!
Thanks for the comment, Katherine. We’re happy to have you board!
my mobile games said:
Greetings from Los angeles! I’m bored to tears at work so I decided to browse your website on my iphone during lunch break.
I enjoy the info you present here and can’t wait to take a look when I get home.
I’m shocked at how quick your blog loaded on my mobile ..
I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyhow, wonderful site!
game of thrones season 1 said:
Howdy! Would you mind if I share your blog with my myspace group?
There’s a lot of people that I think would really enjoy your content.
Please let me know. Many thanks
Yes. Of course. Share as much as you like.